Friday 27 July 2007

Another day, another run

Sarah says:

Today I am feeling smug. This should last until lunch time when my legs drop off but at the moment all is good. Why? I hear you cry. Because since leaving work yesterday and arriving this morning I have managed to fit in 2 runs and some wine. OK so I have only covered 5 miles but that is a nice number. It is distinctly better than the 0 miles I had been running until very recently. It also means that I can enjoy my Friday night without the guilt of a missed run. More wine waiter!

A question that I have been asked by everyone I have mentioned this marathon to, all 3 of them, is "are you and Cherry running together?" The answer is no. We aren't. Why not? Well it is reverse competitiveness. Both of us claim to be the slowest runner so running together we might actually end up going backwards in our attempts to be the slowest. Plus, I am a very anti social runner. I don't have enough puff to talk and I need to listen to music to drown out my body's screams and pleading.


I am feeling tempted to buy some bathroom scales but I am scared about what they will say to me at the moment. I am sure a lot of it would be the scale going Oooofffffff bloody hell. The up side would be when I am a svelte tiny person at the end of this all. Hummm, I think the fear is winning.

Cherry says:


Today I feel OK. Last night I did my run and went straight to bed. I did not watch the X Files. The X Files in on too late for me these days. I think my life will mostly involve muscle soak and early nights for a bit.

3 miles last night which I managed at a gentle trot. I would have made excellent time, but I had to stop and stare intently at a missing cat poster and mentally cross reference it against every cat I had seen in the last two weeks. Coincidentally this took just long enough to get my breath back and for the red spots in front of my eyes to disappear.

So not much improvement on the running front but a strange thing is happening. I don’t fancy drinking much. Normally I consider white wine as one of the major food groups, but it just doesn’t appeal at the moment. Not like Sarah who rehydrated from last nights run with a couple of pints of Grolsh and STILL managed to put in 2 miles before work this morning. How? How is she doing that? It’s all I can do to crawl out of bed in time to go to work, let alone get up early and run the streets. Next week will see me trying rise with the lark and run, so watch this space to see me totally fail in that one.

No comments: